Saturday, March 12, 2011

Just married!

Not me, obviously. But the greeting cards I've been churning out have "just married glitter" all over them. A couple yrs ago I had the good fortune of finding hundreds of photos while trash-picking on passyunk ave in south philly. Just across the street from the Melrose, in big cardboard trunk boxes, were thousands of wedding proofs, all dated from the late 60s to 1981. From what I  figured a photographer either retired or died n his studio was cleaned out. I stuffed a backpack w as much as it could hold and took my treasure home. I tried 2 make another trip but another trash-picker (no doubt equipped w a truck) had already taken the dozen boxes.

So what do u do w hundreds of photos of stranger's weddings? For a while I would mix them up n leave them on the coffee table 2 be found by unsuspecting friends n flatmates. The most common question being "do u kno these people?" To which I answered "no."
I threw around the idea of creating scrapbooks w them- an idea that may have merit yet- but then I would be stuck w large, expensive albums that would sit in my closet (as most my work does) and not shared w many ppl. This would also mean I would be thrown head-first in2 the dark evil  world of scrapbooking- a hobby I love 2 detest- and demon "crafty mommies."

So I decided 2 turn them in2 greeting cards, accentuated w scrapbooking  papers n stickers, 2 make them in2 tasty little condescending tidbits of south philly middle-class history. Once u add a sarcastic one-word phrase on the inside of the card a whole new dimension is put on the photo. Up until the receiver opens the card they r often confused by what they r looking at...and that's exactly what I'm going for.
I can't tell u if these ppl r divorced, still married, dead or homeless, but I can poke fun at what they're wearing.



No comments:

Post a Comment